Cuffel Electric Now Serves the Residential and Commercial Electrical Needs of Sheboygan
There are many theories about how Sheboygan got its name. However, the most probable explanation is that Sheboygan was named after a Chippewa Indian word. It means “passage or waterway among the lakes”. Jean Nicolett (1635), Joliet (1643), and Marquette (1643), were likely the first white men to visit Sheboygan’s shores.
It was 1699 when Father St. Cosme arrived at the Pottawatomie Indian village on the Sheboygan River. It was many more years before Wm. Farnsworth arrived here in 1814. Farnsworth moved on, but he returned in 1818 to set up a fur trading station. This he kept for 14 years. Wm. Paine and Colonel Oliver Crocker joined Farnsworth 1822. They built a small sawmill and two log cabins.
These humble beginnings led to more people making their way towards the “water’s edge”. A Mr. Harrison built a shanty along the river’s south bank in 1834. Two years later, the Sheboygan House, Sheboygan’s first hotel, was constructed in 1836. Chas established a post office in the same year. Cole was Sheboygan’s first postal master. Sheboygan was a part of Brown County until this point. December 7, 1836, saw the creation of Sheboygan County.
The need for schools grew as the population grew. The first schoolhouse in Sheboygan, which was located east of 8th St. between Niagara Ave. & Wisconsin Ave., was built. It was built in 1837 and had 12 students. In the 1840s and 1850s, more people came to campus and there were more developments. In 1843, the first store was constructed. Sheboygan’s first schooner was built in 1845. It was called the “Pilot”. February 9, 1846, saw the incorporation of Sheboygan. One of the first acts to appropriate money was for a bridge across Sheboygan River. The first Sheboygan map was created in 1848.
In 1849, the first ladder and hook fire department was established. In 1851, a new jail was constructed. However, it was later replaced by a brick one in 1853. H. Conklin was the first mayor to officially chartreuse the city.
The main mode of transportation to get people and supplies to Sheboygan was still by boat, but in 1856, ground was broken by the Sheboygan/Mississippi Railroad Co., adding yet another way for Sheboygan to grow. A route that was all-land mail between Sheboygan and Milwaukee was created two years later. In 1837, Sheboygan had a population of 36. It grew to 4271 residents by 1860.
Today, Sheboygan is known as the “Spirit on The Lake.” Our coastal community offers a variety of activities, including world-class sailing and charter fishing.
Our historic downtown district offers unique shopping, dining, entertainment, and other activities that will delight everyone. There are 36 parks covering 705 acres. There are eight miles of paved trails, which offer a wide range of outdoor recreation opportunities. Sheboygan has something for everyone.
Why Hire Cuffel Electric?
- A trusted, full-service company
- Prompt, reliable, thorough service
- Up-front flat rate pricing – no hidden charges
- The job done right and clean the first time – guaranteed
- Experienced, knowledgeable technicians
- The highest levels of customer service
- Peace of mind – 100% satisfaction guaranteed
24 Hr. Emergency Repair Service
Google Business Profile: https://cuffel-electric.business.site
Google Site: https://sites.google.com/view/cuffelelectric
Location Map: https://www.google.com/maps?cid=8391163298729827116